As we are nearing the last leg of our campaign to build an ethical, community-minded chocolate factory I wanted to post an update and recipe (to thank you, spread the word and encourage you to eat yummy brownies!)
The crowdfund is going great (igg.me/at/clonchocolate), nearly 50% there and we have 12 days left! We’ve had a great response from both our local and internationally community which is really made us feel that people really want to see more responsible businesses get off the ground! I am also halfway through the first School for Social Entrepreneurs course in Dublin, so I am building the foundations of the business alongside 27 other amazing socially-minded start-ups and am more and more inspired by the potential of the project.
This is a recipe for AMAZING sugar-free brownies… if you can believe it. I have been making variations of these yummy courgette (zucchini) brownies for years as a result of my dad’s garden always being completely over-run with them! Our family have had great fun experimenting on ways of working them into desserts over the years – this particular version was adapted from Bake & Make with Beth and is extra great because it is healthier (no refined sugar!), gluten-free and vegan – so no excuse not to indulge!
Please share it around, and of course, you can get your delicious & discounted chocolate on www.igg.me/at/clonchocolate! I’m also attaching an invite to ‘The World’s Smallest Chocolate Festival’ for those who are nearer – it’s on this Sat June 6th and it’s going to be like a blown-out kids birthday party with games, magic and wild, wonderful and weird chocolate creations
Here is the recipe:
Clonakilty Chocolate Walnut Courgette Brownies
- 1 1/2 cups of grated courgette
- 1 cup of almond butter (room temp) (you can sub for another butter but won’t taste almond – or you can blitz almonds in a blender)
- 1/2 cup of honey/agave syrup
- 1 Tbsp. of pure maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp. of pure vanilla extract
- 3/8 tsp. of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. of baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. of 100% cocoa powder
- 1/16 tsp. of salt
- Handful of Rough Chopped Walnuts (or other nut, or omit!)
- 250g of Decadent Dark Clonakilty Chocolate Baking-Chocolate (70% min), chopped and divided in half
- Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Generously grease the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8 pan with coconut oil (or substitute)
- Mix courgette, butter, honey, and maple syrup well in a large bowl. Add in the vanilla extract.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Heat half of the chopped chocolate in a bowl suspended over a pan of gently simmering water. Stir until the chocolate is smooth. Set the melted chocolate aside too cool slightly.
- Blend the melted chocolate into the courgette mixture, and mix to incorporate well. Add the cocoa powder mixture and stir well. Fold in the rest of your chopped chocolate and nuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle a pinch or two of coarse sea salt over the batter
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, rotating the pan halfway during baking – I like it a bit mushy but if you want it to travel give it a bit longer.
- Allow to cool completely at room temperature to allow to finish setting, cut & enjoy with friends!
And the invite (the more the merrier!):
Ok, that’s all from Clonakilty Chocolate command central! Thanks again for all your encouragement and of course for getting on board with the project by ordering yummy chocolate!